Thursday, January 26, 2012

We are going to Tijuana and we need your help!

Kevan and I will be going to Tijuana, Mexico June 6th-13th (pending manager approval) with our church here in Tennessee.  We will be hosting a Vacation Bible School for several days with the neighborhood children, having church at the drug rehab mission and also taking a group of orphans on a day trip so they can spend the day having fun and eating great food.  I'm sure it will be hard for me to not bring one of these little orphans home with me!  If you hear about a woman that tried to smuggle an orphan on a plane....just kidding.  lol!  During this time in Mexico we will show them and share with them the love of Christ.  We will love on them, laugh with them and teach them.  I have never been on a mission trip so I am very excited and I have heard so many times that it is a life changing experience for the volunteer.

Bible School Picture



Tijuana, Mexico is a city of 3 million people.  We will be going to an area that is mostly poor families who may not even have electricity in their homes and live in shacks.  The last picture below is from the town we will be having our VBS.  This area does not have a church and these children have never been to a VBS.  Most likely, they have never heard about Jesus.  I am praying that we have a huge impact in these children's lives and that it will even reach their parents, teachers and caregivers.

Children from the orphanage enjoying a day out:


During one of the mission trip meetings at church it came to our attention that there are a few couples and one teenager that really would like to go, but they do not have the funds to do so due to illness in the family (having to pay medical bills) or due to the loss of a job recently.  Our church is filled with families in need and I am scared that they will not be able to attend even with the donations from our church members.  Kevan and I are praying that this will not hinder them from going.  So, I thought it might be a good idea to ask our family and friends whether they would like to sponsor a couple, teenager or activity.  The activities still need to be funded.  If we do not have enough funds for the activities we may have to change our plans.  I pray that is not the case so we can make the most impact.  You could even just give $5 or $10 if that is all you are led to do.  We are not just reaching out to help these little children in Tijuana and teaching them about Christ, but we are forever changing the heart of the person that is volunteering.  Plus, the more people that go with us the bigger the impact we can have on these children, their local church and our church through those that are going.  Will you be a part of it?

Tijuana, area that we will be:

Kevan and I have all the funds we need so none of the contributions we receive will go to us.  I wish Kevan and I could sponsor a couple, but since we will be paying for ourselves we just can't do it.  I know that many of you wish you could go on a missions trip and for various reasons you can't at this time.  This would be the perfect opportunity for you to help.  I will try to take lots of pictures and document our trip as much as possible.  If you sponsor a couple, a teenager or activity I will try to share those with you too.  The airline tickets are going to be purchased on 2/16/2012 so if you will be giving we will need it by then.  I know it is very short notice.

Here is a verse that may help your decision, "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.  Do not say to your neighbor, Come back later; I’ll give it tomorrow when you now have it with you." Proverbs 3:27-28.  If it is in your power to help a teenager or couple go on this mission trip and possible impact their lives or the lives of the precious children we will be ministering to I ask you to please give something...even if it is only $5.

If you are interested you can send a check to our church (email/ping me and I'll send you the address) or you can send it to Kevan and I via PayPal and we will make sure that your donation is given to the mission fund for this trip.  Just send me a note, email or text if you are interested in giving.  God Bless You all!  I'm excited to see how God is going to work in the lives of everyone involved in this trip.

Areas for giving:

Individual Costs:
Airfare:  $350.00
Meals:   $120.00
Lodging:  $30.00
Total:   $500.00

Sponsor an Activity:
Orphanage Visit - $200
Vacation Bible School - $250/day


Matthew 19:14 - Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

James 1:27 - Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Psalm 10:14b - You have been the helper of the orphan.

Deuteronomy 24:21 - When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not go over it again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow.

No comments:

Post a Comment