Monday, January 02, 2012

2011 Reading List

Below are the books that I have read or listened to during 2011.  This is mostly for my records so that I know which year I read which book.  I did not read as many books this year due to my commitment to read the bible cover to cover.  Click the link to view 2010 and 2009.

The Holy Bible (NIV - The Bible in 90 Days) - It took me longer than 90 days, much longer, but I was able to read the bible through from cover to cover.  I covered this version in a past post.

The Apothecary's Daughter (Julie Klassen) - it was okay.  I liked the characters and the suspense, but the ending was way too rushed.  She should've wrote a 2nd book instead of rushing the ending.

Letters of a Woman Homesteader - I enjoyed this book.  It is a compilation of real letters that a woman wrote to her previous employer around 1914.  She was a single mother who gave up city life to go live as a homesteader in Wyoming.  I love how she describes the mountains, the people and the way of life then.

Mary at the Farm and Book of Recipes- this is a cute book, published in the 1920's (true story), about a young orphan girl that is getting married so she spends a short time with her aunt learning how to keep house and cook.  It is neat to read about how things were then and the different recipes she makes.

Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) - this was my favorite fiction book of the year.  It was published in 1847.  Once I finished the book I also watched all of the movies/television series that have been produced.


Agnes Grey (Anne Bronte) - it was okay.  Not as good as Jane Eyre.  I probably wouldn't recommend it or read it again.

The Woman in White (Wilkie Collins) - interesting mystery book published in 1860, but seemed very long.

Nourishing Traditions (Sally Fallon) - enjoyed reading this book.  I now will never buy margarine again and will try to drink only whole milk and eat more things with meat broths and fermented food.  I recommend this book.

The Accidental Farmers (Tim Young) - loved this book because it gave Kevan and I insight into what it will be like when we start accumulating animals for our farm.  A lot of heartache though when they lose their animals.

The Contrary Farmer (Gene Logsdon) - I enjoyed hearing the different farm stories and ideas on how to do certain things on the farm, but the writer was a little too liberal for me.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K Rowling) - I've read it previously, but wanted to reread it before the last movie came out.  Great series!

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - read this as a requirement for my American History class.  I did enjoy learning more about Ben Franklin, but it seemed long towards the end.

American Stories: A History of the United States, Volume 1 - this was a requirement for my American History class.  For a textbook, I really liked it.  If I ever have children and home school I would like to use this book.  

Currently reading:

Behold the Lamb of God: An Advent Narrative (Russ Ramsey) - Loving it.


You Can Farm (Joel Salatin) - it is okay, but I'm not really look to make money off farming so a lot of it doesn't really pertain to us.  We just want to eat better and produce as much of our own food as we can.


Phantom of the Opera - it's okay so far.

Audio Books via Audible:

Kevan and I read (listened to) the below series together and we loved it!  We couldn't wait to go for a drive just so we could listen to it in the car.

A Voice in the Wind (Francine Rivers) - favorite audio book this year. 
An Echo in the Darkness (Francine Rivers)
As Sure as the Dawn (Francine Rivers)

We also listened to the books below:

Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World (Joel Salatin) - Everyone who is interested in farming or eating better should read this.

Parenting Isn’t for Cowards (James Dobson) - we both enjoyed this book.  Which is saying a lot since we do not have children (yet!).

Redeeming Love (Francine Rivers) - I wanted Kevan to listen to it so he would know why I love the book so much.  We are still listening to it, but almost finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment