Thursday, April 07, 2011

A Walk in the Country

I was talking to my dad on the phone the other day and he asked me what everything looked like right now.  The trees, flowers, river, etc.  You see, he is up in the freezing cold north and there is hardly any hint of Spring yet.  So, I've decided to put this post together for him so he can see how much everything has changed since he was here last.

Everyday Kevan and I try to take a walk to the bridge down the road (not to be confused with the bridge on our property).  We have not yet measured how far it is to get to the river from here, but I'm guessing it is a 1/2 mile or so.  We start out from our driveway and this is what we see.

DSC_0415

As we walk down the road we always run into this doggie.  He does not like us passing his house.  He is so funny because he will not bark until we have reached his "parents" yard.  Then, he will bark until we pass.  EVERY time.  We have tried making friends, but he won't have it.  Also, there is no fence so he could approach us, but he doesn't.

DSC_0452

While we walk down our road we see many trees and flowers.  I am not an expert on plants (as my mother-in-law knows well) so I cannot tell you the names.  But, I love to look at them! Here are a few pretty yellow flowers...

DSC_0253

Purple flowers...

DSC_0288

Flowering tree..

DSC_0262

White flowering bush...

DSC_0412

Tulips...

Tulips

We have to walk up this hill on the way to the bridge.

DSC_0419

As we get closer to the bridge we pass this beautiful old farmhouse.  We met the woman that lives here the other day.  She was a schoolteacher her whole life and the original farmhouse is from the late 1800's.  They have added on to it several times.  The main house (in the picture) is over 100 years old.  I love passing this house on the way to the bridge. 

DSC_0227

This little guinea lives there too.  Isn't she cute?

DSC_0424

Now, we've rounded the corner and are finally at the bridge.  Only one car can go over the bridge at a time.

DSC_0243

When standing on the bridge here is a view to the left.

DSC_0428

Here is the view to the right. You can see the neighbor's cows in the background.

DSC_0430

I took a picture of some moss growing on the bridge. I thought this was a pretty cute picture.

DSC_0259

As we walk every once in a while we will see a corn cob on the ground. This is from the farmer that lives down the road. Hopefully, one day during harvest time I will get a few pictures of him carrying his corn away. The little hopper trailers look like mining trailers. It is cute.

DSC_0254

Lastly, just so you don't think everything is beautiful and romantic in the country. Here is a picture of something that we saw on our walk tonight. Something, I don't care to see again.  WORMS....lots of WORMS!  They may be caterpillars...but they sure look like worms to me!

DSC_0226

If anyone knows the names of any of the flowers, trees or bushes I pictured above let me know.

Love you dad.  I can't wait to see you here again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment